19 September 2010

The pitter patter of tiny feet

I have a habit of staying up late, using the computer. Actually, it is less of a habit, and more of an addiction. Brad almost always goes to sleep before me. I'm just kind of a night owl.

Anyway, throughout the last couple of weeks I have been considering changing my night owl ways due to something that totally creeps me out. There is a rat, mouse, squirrel, giant gecko, or other creature of that sort living in my ceiling! I'm pretty sure it's 'nest' is under the floorboards of our upstairs hallway, and DIRECTLY above my computer desk.

Eek. I can hear it right now, scampering around. As I type this, I am having to go back and fix all the typos that I'm creating because I keep getting chills and cannot type easily with shaking hands.

Ick. Last week, our rodent guest was hyper and was running around so fast that it was running into things and making other obnoxious sounds in addition to the creepy tapping of tiny claws. I was freaked out. When I finally went upstairs to go to bed, I couldn't sleep. I was up ALL night, staring at the ceiling, listening to the critter in the silence.

I have heard it nearly every night since, and cannot figure out why I have yet to call housing to let them know about it. I haven't been sleeping well. I have even had dreams of this creature keeping Jocelyn company in her bed as she sleeps. YUCK! However, when I wake up in the morning I seem to forget about it, then every night when I am reminded, it is too late to call the housing office.

I really need to start going to bed earlier! It's 11:00 now, and I'm going to head up to bed, but probably won't be able to sleep until around 1:00. :(

*shiver*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, dont you want more sleep?? =D Sleep is always the best, when people say "I will sleep when I die" umm no I love my sleep and I will sleep when I WANT hehe. Plus your a busy momma so you need your rest..


Steph

Mrs. Indecisive said...

Okay it's finally my turn to make fun of you!!! As a chick who raised and bred mice/rats/hamsters throughout highschool, I can chuckle at your story. You know it won't hurt you, right? Rats don't really bite (I've never ever been bitten by one) and mice/hamsters only bite when provoked, cornered or attacked. Rats are bolder then mice, which means you most likely would have seen it by now, so we'll settle on wild field mouse.

You could always adjust to the idea of having a pet, give it a name and let it be. We have gecko at home named "Ralphie" who lives behind one of my frames apparently. Even the dogs leave him alone now :)

Team Hayes said...

Jenna, I am not afraid of rodents (unless they are gnawing Jocelyn's face off, like in my dream). I am just perturbed by the sound of it. If I was really frightened that it would show itself and hurt me or my kids, I would have called housing by now. My problem is listening to it scamper around. It's just creepy knowing there is something running around in my ceiling. I have resolved to go to bed earlier, so I no longer have to listen to it once the house gets silent. :)

Unknown said...

I had a similar situation when I used to stay up until all hours of the morning online and AIM talking to friends...oh probably a good 7 years ago when I was young and could do that and not sleep all day the next day. =P I knew what it was because my parent's were having a difficult time with a roof rat invasion. We could hear them scampering around above our heads in the evening. The worst night was when I was up talking to my friend online, at about 2am and the rat got snapped in the trap right above me. Not only did I jump at the sound of the trap slamming down in the dead quiet of the night, but the blood-curdling scream that followed was beyond disturbing. Not only did the rat continue to scream, but he was banging around the trap after that trying to get out until he eventually died. I was the only one who was up and NO ONE woke up to it - I'm pretty glad that I was at least talking to someone online so I was semi distracted. I can't imagine waking up to something like that. EWW! Needless to say, I was a bit wary about staying up real late after that. I didn't feel like witnessing anymore of that creepiness on my own!